Final Year Project: The Concealed Truth



Title: The Concealed Truth
Size: 48.5 x 43.5cm each frame (18 Frames)
Medium: Digital Silkscreen on Ivory Card
Year: 2017


This work focuses on the distant relationship between siblings psychologically. While working on this piece, I had realized the beauty of trust between siblings despite the silence and distance from each other. No matter what happens, we will still find our way back to each other. There is this Malay saying, 'kalau air dicincang tidak akan putus'. Which means, 'blood is thicker than water.


'The Concealed Truth' is a reflection of my relationship with my Autistic elder brother. Honestly, I am quite envious of other siblings who have a good relationship with each other. My elder brother has difficulties in controlling his emotions especially when things do not go the way he wants. I do not consider him as a special needs child as in terms of academics he scores better than I do. I kept denying, until one day, my ignorance got him out of control. He burst out, screaming at the top of his lungs and ran out of the house. The next thing I knew, he spends the night behind bars as he got caught of attempted suicide. That incident made a huge impact on me and I couldn't stop dwelling upon it. However, I could not bring myself to show care and express my feelings and resentment towards him hence, I used the opportunity of my Final Year Project to send a message to my elder brother. I want him to know that I'll be there for him and that he can really rely on me this time around.

The colours I used in this work are all complementary colours. Reason being, complementary colours are placed opposite of each other on the Colour Wheel but, when they are put together they enhance each other. Just like the saying, 'opposites attract'. As for the cutout shape of the ivory card, I did not use the silhouette of my flat that I am living in even though it is my personal story. Instead, I used the silhouettes of various houses and flats. It is because I want my viewers to reflect on their personal life as well. Different household carries different stories, different corners of the house, holds different memories.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Escaping Reality